In an effort to get back into a healthy regimen, I’ve been forcing myself to eat breakfast every morning. I’m normally a cup-of-coffee and go kind of lady, but I realize the importance of getting some protein and fiber in before running out of the house. Breakfast is crucial to jump-starting your metabolism in the morning, so my habit of skipping breakfast over the last few weeks is likely the main contributor to my recent weight gain [up 3 lbs!] and voracious hunger in the evenings.
Since I’m all for simplicity, I’ve been making the following protein shake for breakfast every morning:
- 1 cup Blue Diamond, unsweetened almond milk – 30 calories
- 1/2 cup organic frozen blueberries – approx 25 calories
- 1 level scoop of Optimum Nutrition 100% Egg White Protein Powder – 120 calories
- 1 tbsp cinnamon – 0 calories
- 1/2 tbsp organic vanilla extract – 0 calories
- 2 tbsp raw, organic cocoa powder – approx 25 calories
- 1 heaping cup of ice [if preferred]
Blend this all together for about 30 seconds [total prep time is less than 2 mins] and enjoy! I’ve had this exact recipe for breakfast the last three days in a row and I’ve REALLY enjoyed it. I drink it around 8am and don’t get hungry until after 12pm. Yesterday, I didn’t eat lunch until 1:30pm, as I felt totally full all morning. Normally I find myself grazing for snacks by 11am, so that’s a pretty huge testament to the filling power of this shake.
Of course, you’re welcome to make substitutions to this to suit your tastes. One good substitution is to remove the berries and add two heaving tablespoons of instant coffee and a handful of Enjoy Life non-dairy, non-soy chocolate chips! I swear, when I do this, the finished product tastes just like the Jamocha Shake from Arby’s. Yum!
Bon appetit, my friends!