I’ve been awful with my diet recently, mainly because I haven’t been prepping and planning my meals the way I normally do. As a result, my weight has crept up a bit and I’ve decided to host an intervention for myself – I’m planning out recipes for the week.
Since I always have a craving for greasy Mexican food, I decided to create a simple recipe that includes all of the flavors I love but is quick to throw together and doesn’t require cooking effort beyond throwing it on the grill.
I introduce – the TexMex Paleo Burger!
Super Simple Ingredients:
- 1.5 lbs extra lean ground beef. (Grass-fed, if you’re strict Paleo)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 tbsp chili powder (less if you don’t like it spicy)
- 6 button mushrooms, chopped small
- 4 tbsp dried onion flakes
- 1 raw egg
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour (coconut flour works, as well, but you may need to add a tiny bit of water)
- 1/3 cup of Daiya (non-dairy, non-soy) cheese alternative. I used sharp cheddar, but they have a Pepper Jack version that would be great, too!
In a giant mixing bowl, start with your ground beef. In my case, I add all of the spices and mushrooms first, then hand mix by folding it together on itself a few times. Once that’s formed into a very thick mix, I add the cheese, raw egg, and tapioca flour. This helps it all to stick together and form solid patties.
As you can see, I form very generous-sized patties – each is probably 7-8 ounces.
The BEST WAY to cook a burger is always going to be on the grill: about 5 minutes on each side with this thickness if you’re cooking it on a medium heat. If you must pan fry, keep the temperature low so that they cook all the way through.
Personally, I like making my burgers at least 4-6 hours before I plan to cook them, as I think the flavor intensifies as they sit in the fridge. Also, letting them chill in the fridge seems to help them hold when cooked. If they hit the grill at room temperature, they seem more likely to break apart.
I’ll be posting more recipes this week, as I’m spending my Sunday prepping for a week of healthy, clean, Paleo eating!
On that note, bon appetit, my friends!