Like many of you, Halloween is one of my favorite times of the year. It’s equally a child’s holiday as it is an adult’s, with only a small age range that chooses not to participate. I remember at 13 saying I was “too old to dress up.”
Man, was I missing out on a lot of fun.
I’d like to go back and slap 13-year-old-self in the face! You get to eat copious amounts of candy without judgement, attend parties, and dress up like anything you want! Come on, young-Tori, don’t be an idiot.
I’m pretty sure the costume stores have double the adult options as they do kiddie choices, and they’re not all “sexy cops” and “sexy nurses,” either. This year, since I’m attending multiple parties, I stocked up on props (fake blood, fake battle wounds, etc) and splurged on a secret costume that I’m going to unveil at a party next weekend.
Last night, I attended an OUTBREAK Survivor Party, so the majority of our costumes were zombie themed. I had fun with the makeup and shirt-decoration last night:
So, what’s the downside to all of this partying and costume menagerie?
At the beginning of last week, I had gotten down to my all-time low of 130.6. I’ve never seen the scale dip that close to the blessed 120s and I was ecstatic. As usual, I took a picture because I could hardly believe it:
As you can imagine, though, I’m no where near that number today.
After almost two weeks of snacking on candy at work and then attending a few parties consisting of fried foods, chips, and lots of frothy beverages, my weight this morning is back up to 134.
It’s just a never-ending cycle. With holidays always a part of life – and the desire to splurge when around friends – it makes it really hard to come to an equilibrium with my body. I’m regimented for weeks, then destroy my efforts in a few days of all-out eating. I’m not going to cut my friends out of my life. I’m not going to convert to Jehovah’s Witness to avoid the celebration of holidays. So what’s a yo-yo to do?
Well, I can tell you what this yo-yo is going to do today:
- Have a cup of coffee to shake off the remaining effects of yesterday’s party.
- Search for my make-up remover, as the good ol’ soap and water used on my face doesn’t seem to have gotten off all of the blood. I look rabid at the moment.
- Hit the gym.
- Eat as healthy as I can while recognizing that it’s the month of candy and I’m not going to escape it.
- Enjoy a beautiful Florida day.
Halloween is both my joy and my challenge and I’ve decided I’m just going to roll with it today and not let a slight increase on the scale bring me down.
Bon appetit, my friends!
- Eight Last Minute Halloween Costumes for the Kids! (thefashionablebambino.com)
- Homemade Hallowe’en (avintagelife.wordpress.com)
- Halloween costume inspiration (imogents.wordpress.com)